Jack Yan
Global  |  Leadership  |  Experience  |  Media  |  Videos
Blog  |  Gallery  |  Contact

Follow me on Mastodon Follow me on Twitter Check out my Instagram account Follow me on Drivetribe Follow me on Linkedin Follow me on Weibo Subscribe to my blog’s RSS feed

Quick links

Surf to the online edition of Lucire

Add feed

The Persuader

My personal blog, started in 2006. No paid posts.

« | »

13.08.2020

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “How to delete Windows 10 system fonts for real, not just remove registry references to them”.

Filed under: design, technology, typography—Jack Yan @ 08.09

8 Responses to ‘How to delete Windows 10 system fonts for real, not just remove registry references to them’

1. Beal says:

When I try to delete some fonts, I’m getting this error message: “The action can’t be completed because the file is open in fontdrvhost.exe.” From what I’ve read online, forcing fontdrvhost to quit is A Bad Thing. Any suggestions? TIA

2. Jack Yan says:

Hi Beal, I wouldn’t force fontdrvhost.exe to quit, either—better that the fonts are not loaded to begin with, which was what I hoped my suggestion would do. Which ones aren’t budging?
       Since I wrote the post I noticed Windows had duplicated a set of fonts under c:\users\[My name]\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\fonts which could also cause a problem. I opened this query at Microsoft Answers, though I haven’t carried out Van’s suggestion yet. There’s a chance that some issues are down to these duplicates.

3. Beal says:

I couldn’t delete Malgun Gothic, Marlett, MS Gothic, Nirmala, and Yu Gothic. I successfully deleted Constantia, Impact, Leelawadee, MingLiU, PhagsPa, and MS Reference Specialty. Hopefully I didn’t delete anything important (eek!).

4. Jack Yan says:

You wouldn’t be using programs that require Asian typefaces, would you? Regardless, I wouldn’t remove Marlett, MS Gothic or Yu Gothic though—looking through their character sets, Windows may need some of their glyphs to draw boxes and some parts of the UI. That might explain why those don’t budge, and there’s a chance the others are staying for a similar reason.

5. Beal says:

Nope, I don’t use Asian typefaces, and as far as I know, I’m not using any programs that require them. Well, unless Chrome counts — it’s my browser of choice, and it displays Asian characters in YouTube comments.

6. Jack Yan says:

I noticed when I wrote the original post that Chromium browsers do tend to load certain fonts, regardless of what you have in the usual registry keys, so Chrome’s capture of some of those could well be why you can’t delete them easily. And I see your point about fontdrvhost—after seeing this I definitely wouldn’t recommend force-quitting it.

7. Beal says:

Oh well… at least I got some fonts deleted! Thanks so much for your help! :-)

8. Jack Yan says: