Jack Yan
Global  |  Leadership  |  Experience  |  Media  |  Videos
Blog  |  Gallery  |  Contact

Follow me on Mastodon Follow me on Linkedin Follow me on Weibo Subscribe to my blog’s RSS feed

Quick links

Surf to the online edition of Lucire
Autocade, the car cyclopćdia

Add feed

The Persuader

My personal blog, started in 2006. No paid or guest posts, no link sales.

« | »

24.07.2022

Bing has tanked

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Bing has tanked”.

Filed under: internet, technology—Jack Yan @ 22.02

7 Responses to ‘Bing has tanked’

1. OBC says:

Hi Jack,
    Thanks for sharing this on Twitter. Something is wrong and they know about it. It seems to me that they are trying to avoid some kind of lawsuit by staying mum.

And why other SEOs are not talking about this is weird! I haven’t noticed any of the the big SEO bloggers talking about this.

2. Jack Yan says:

Thank you for stopping by. It was when I was searching for news about this that I came across your Tweets. I think you are right: they are staying mum to avoid any legal claims. I find it curious Reddit would block me from telling people about this, too.

It makes me wonder if some of the big SEO bloggers even know what they’re talking about. This is pretty big news.

3. ObC says:

I will say that 8-9 out 10 of the SEO gals and guys are full of shit. They don’t know anything and just rewrites what Google already said on their search central blogs.

Super odd that all these guys and gals who are “gurus” haven’t written blogs or twitted about this.

4. Jack Yan says:

It might even be higher than 8 to 9 out of 10—closer to 99 out of 100!

5. Brad says:

DuckDuckGo used to rely heavily on Yandex for site:domain.com search results. DDG cut their association with Yandex this year due to the War in Ukraine, so I wonder if that had something to do with it?

Still it is disturbing that Bing is letting their index shrink. Thanks for pointing that out.

6. Jack Yan says:

Hi Brad, my pleasure, and thank you for your comment. I remember when Duck Duck Go pulled from Yandex as well. So I’d say you’re absolutely right. Do you remember what month they cut their ties?

I never used Bing before I started investigating what had happened to Duck Duck Go (which we used for internal searches). I just took a look now, and Yandex’s site: search is really good.

7. […] We changed our hosting at the start of 2022 and now everything performs better, and we’re at a greener data centre. (We’re also saving money.) During the year, we noticed Duck Duck Go, which ran our internal search, performing incredibly badly: tolerable searches became unusable, and many were returning zero results. Investigating this further, it appeared Duck Duck Go dropped Yandex as a search partner because they were Russian, and became totally reliant on Bing. And Bing, as far as we can tell, has an index that has plunged. […]