Jack Yan
Global  |  Leadership  |  Experience  |  Media  |  Videos
Blog  |  Contact

You can’t beat Wellington. Subscribe to my Facebook page Join my page on Facebook Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Tumblr Follow me on Weibo Follow me on Myspace Check out my Instagram account Follow me on Pinterest Subscribe to my blog’s RSS feed

Quick links

Surf to the online edition of Lucire

Add feeds

Get this blog via email
Enter your Email

Powered by FeedBlitz

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

• Recent comments
  • Recent posts

The Persuader

My personal blog, started in 2006.

« | »

15.03.2011

Microsoft Internet Explorer 9: the worst browser on the scene

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “Microsoft Internet Explorer 9: the worst browser on the scene”.

Filed under: business, internet, technology, USA—Jack Yan @ 11.58

15 Responses to ‘Microsoft Internet Explorer 9: the worst browser on the scene’

1. Robin Capper says:

It’s working fine for me on Windows 7 64 and IE9

2. Jack Yan says:

The difference is that computers like you. :)

3. jaklumen says:

Then again, he’s running 7, and you’re running Vista.

4. Jack Yan says:

I’m just happy Firefox 4 Release Candidate 1 is running smoothly and is stable.

5. AJ says:

I just hope this browser doesn’t catch on too quickly amongst the “what’s a browser?” set (i.e., the slight majority of the people on the Internet). About 50% of the visitors to my sites come by way of some version of IE; the remaining half by the rest of the big 5, primarily Firefox. I make my living on the web, so I naturally had to run the update for IE9 to see just how horribly Microsoft was going to decide to render code. Lo and behold, completely different than IE6, 7, or 8, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, or Opera: Overlapping text, unrendered images, overlapping ad units, blah, blah, blah… I can’t wrap my head around where Microsoft gets off forcing webmasters and designers to optimize to whatever latest garbage edition of IE they’ve pumped-out. Oh yeah, IE comes with the computers that most people buy. Grrrrrrrrr…………..

6. Al says:

Microsoft. “If it ain’t broke, break it!”

I just got IE9 today. It works, sort of, but it sucks. Info that used to be available on the status bar, e.g. which zone (Internet, Trusted, or Resticted) is no longer there. MSFT thinks it’s OK to hide info and reshuffle controls — as if every new car you bought had the brake pedal in a completely new, non-obvious place, and the only way to find it was to search it out. Why the eff do they do that EVERY DAMN TIME???

7. Al says:

Follow up to the above: IE9 works, but just barely. In addition to MSFT’s usual games of “hide the controls” and other perversities (e.g. “The site’s title isn’t in the top bar any more. You’ll get what fits in the tab, and like it!”), too many websites didn’t work right with it. I uninstalled IE9, and good riddance.

8. Jack Yan says:

Hi Al, thank you for popping by. I love your analogy of the pedals in the car shifting. I removed the program as well: since it displayed nothing for me, I never got as far as figuring out if the zones were still there. Annoying to learn that they weren’t, since they are pretty important in this day and age.

9. Marie says:

My Internet Explorer 9 SUCKS. The Display doesn’t work right AT ALL. Like it’ll show parts of the website but not the others.

10. […] enough, everything on the Microsoft end went quite well apart from Internet Explorer 9 (the same error I reported last year), which then seemed to have taken out Firefox 9 with the same error (solved by changing the […]

11. Jack Yan says:

Nearly one year on, with a new computer, on Windows 7, and still no joy.

12. […] think, if I actually followed the advice of the Microsoft expert, I would still have a non-functioning Internet Explorer 9 that displayed blank pages. Rule no. 1: when it comes to computing, never follow the advice of a […]

13. Michael says:

I support engineer intern at a major software company, and everytime we get tickets where customers have “browser issues”, 9 out of 10 of those tickets have the word IE 7-9 in it. To make matters worse, the customer always says, “This works fine in FF/Chrome/Safari, but they don’t make the righteous decision to use a new browser! Away with IE!

14. Bozo says:

With FF, Opera, Avant and Chrome I can open many tabs with very little or noticeable slowdown on my PC. However with IE9 with 10 or more tabs in one window I notice a significant locking up of my PC. This happens whether Windows 7 UE has been running for months or only hours after a fresh install. 16GB Ram, i7
      3.2Ghz cpu, 1TB HDD for OS only – I have had 270 tabs open in Opera before a significant PC lockup, 194 tabs in FF, 97 tabs in Chrome, 296 in Avant and 328 in Orca. IE9 continually disappoints me with its mediocre rendering of websites even with the latest MS and flash updates. Even though the other browsers have their foibles they don’t amount to the many that IE9 have! If IE10 is the new browser for Windows 8 then it will have to do a bloody good job convincing the many who have been disappointed with 9!

15. John says:

IE9 The worst browser ever… period! Its clunky, unstable, weak, slow, freezes, exasperating to work with. I saw a MS commercial about how IE9 is the best browser? Why does MS even need to have a commercial for that when its in windows. Guess they are trying to defend IE9 from all the complaints. Its well deserved. I pretty much use Firefox exclusive.